Thursday, May 8, 2008

Yoga and Thai Massage

In every Asian country I've been in, I've had really good luck in finding great Ashtanga yoga studios. My favorite is the one in Shanghai just because the instructor is one of the best I've ever had.

Toyko was in a small little room, but it felt good after being on a plane for 12 hours.

Now Manila (or Makati City)....it's about a 10 minute walk from the office, but at 6 pm there are so many people in the walkway (there's one street that is uncrossable via sidewalk) that you can only move in a slow pace.

The one here, like in Shanghai, is in an apartment building and the A/C is not on. So it's 90+ degrees and we're on the 9th floor. You're sweating after the first sun salutation. But I must admit, it's a great little studio and for about $4 a class this is a bargain!

My colleague, Brett, joined me on Tuesday night and I must admit he was a trooper. He liked it enough to want to return. The hardest part is walking back to the hotel carrying the laptop bag. After exhausting my muscles, that bag is incredibly heavy to lug around for 15 minutes. Ugh!

Last night Brett and I decided that we needed to recover from yoga and had a 2 hour Thai massage for $16. The set-up is similar to what I've found in China - they give you pajamas to wear and more than one people are in a room. But since this is Thai massage, we're lying on the floor.

I proceeded to fall asleep within the first hour. Brett was telling me about how he fell asleep when she gave him a facial massage....ummmm I don't remember that. Nor did I remember our ladies changing after the first hour. And he was commenting about the awesome last foot massage. Nope, don't remember that either!

This will be a weekly activity for us...and next time I'll stay awake!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I've never had a professional message... especially one for 2 hours! Sounds like fun :)

Irene said...

Well, for $16 you can't pass it up!