Monday, May 5, 2008

Breakfast at the Hotel

I would never have thought that I would be posting about the breakfast at the Intercontinental (a US based hotel), but it was just too good to ignore.

The breakfast buffet is large with a selection of western, Asian, and Filipino foods. I'll post a photo tomorrow, but picture this....
  • An omlette station that will also make eggs benedict and other eggs to order....ho hum right? How about magenta colored eggs? I have no idea what's special about them but they certainly are a vibrant and beautiful color. I tried to take a photo with my cell phone, but I seemed to have lost it. I promise to post one tomorrow and I'll also ask the chef what's the story behind the colored eggs.
  • Typical western selection on the buffet - Bacon (we think deep fried in oil), sausage, corned beef (looks homemade), pancakes, hash brown, scrambled eggs, and sliced to order ham (awesome!).
  • Cereal station - Delicious muselix, yogurt in containers, and various cereals.
  • Asian - Siumai (a favorite so of course I had to try them), bao steamed bun (I think pork...will try tomorrow), chow mein noodles (another favorite), miso soup with tofu, scallions, ume, and other stuff added as you please (pretty good miso soup), congee (I'll try it some other day). I know there were other Asian delights for breakfast, but I can't remember what they were.
  • Filipino - A couple of fried fish and pork dishes, along with a number of other strange stuff I don't recognize.
  • Cold platter - A selection of cheese, salmon, and meat along with salad greens and fruits (watermelon, mango, pineapple, melon).
  • Breads - All sorts of sweet rolls, croissants, buns, donuts, etc.

Luckily I'm always starving in the morning when I travel to Asia, thanks to my body thinking it's dinner time. Therefore eating chow mein noodles and shumai for breakfast sounds pretty good!

Overall, I think there's enough selection on the buffet to keep me satisfied for 3 weeks. Although this isn't the largest breakfast buffet I've seen (the one in Malaysia at the Hilton was even more extensive), it's pretty darn good.

Now if they could only improve the quality of their coffee, I would be totally happy. But there is a Starbucks at the office so I can get better coffee later in the morning.

No comments: