Sunday, May 18, 2008

More shopping

And when the weather is still bad, we shop....which is an experience in itself here.

After spending more $ today at the mall, it's time to write about what shopping is like in one of the department stores here (think an equivalent to Macy's or Kohl's). There are a TON of people standing around to help.....but they're usually bored and are talking to each other than helping. Or they're following you around as you're browsing. But they're only responsible for a small section of the store. It could be a brand or type of clothes. And if you're interested in buying something, they have to go with you to the central cashier (there are usually a number of them on a floor).

At the check-out desk, there is usually only 1 cashier whose sole responsibility is to use the cash register. So on a busy weekend, there's quite a backlog of clerks with their customers. In one store, I probably waited 10 minutes or more to check out. In one store, we walked past a number of check-out stations before we found someone working at the register. It requires patience to check out.

Emily and I were checking out at one store (I found inexpensive belly dancing skirts!) and for whatever reason they had to ring her 2 blouses separately. We have no idea why. And they put her purchases in 2 bags. Made no sense.

But the prices are pretty good for non-US branded clothing. There are plenty of US-based stores such as Gap, Zara, Lacoste, Mango, but the prices in them are no bargain. On the other hand, the department stores or the local boutiques have some really nice clothes at much more reasonable prices.

I keep on saying that I'm tired of shopping, but yet my purchases continue. I'm so glad I brought my larger suitcase and had lots of extra room in it!

Only 4 more shopping days before I go on vacation!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are seriously going to have to meet up sometime in a fabulous city and get our "shop" on together!