Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Vending machines

What's with Japan's obsession with vending machines? They're everywhere selling iced coffee in little cans, water, bottled green tea, soda (usually regular Coke or Pepsi, no diet), juice and beer outside of a liquor store. This is next to the train station near work. The store isn't open when we arrive in the morning (I took this after work), but there are always some guys standing around and drinking. They look like they just got off work. I guess if the bars and liquor stores are closed, a mechanical liquor shop is a good alternative.
The other popular use of vending machines is by noodle shops. They're usually positioned outside the entrance. No cashier needed. Just buy your ticket and hand it to the waitstaff. This one is similar to the first food ticket machine I encountered the last time I was in Japan. As you can see, nothing is in English.
Noodle shops are everywhere and always in train stations where everyone stands at counters and eats. It's a quick and satisfying meal.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I can read Food Ticket in english... =)

Unknown said...

I'm guessing the color coding means something...

Irene said...

I would think the colors mean something too, but who knows! Russian roulette with your food. Always fun!