Sunday, June 28, 2009

Japan summer sales

The summer sales in Japan began on Friday and the stores are a madhouse. I was successful and picked up some clothing for a reasonable price (i.e., $20 US), even if finding items to fit can be a challenge. Size-wise I'm considered a Large since Asian women are pretty petite (same problem in Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, China). I don't even bother trying on any pants, but I've had good luck with skirts.

The clothes are pretty conservative and shapeless. Lots of baby-doll tops and frills. Way too girly for my taste sometimes. Strapless or sleeveless tops are worn with a shirt underneath or a sweater or jacket covers their arms. Women also tend to wear nude-colored stockings and pedi's with their ballet slipper shoes. It's too warm here (80's) for me to feel comfortable wearing layers of clothes (but I try to), but stockings and socks don't even enter my mind.

I still have 6 more days left in Japan. Six more days of listening to the sales clerks cry out "come in" and lure you in with shouts of their discounts, which can get very loud with many of the stores so close to each other. Six more days of glorious shopping! :-)

No comments: