Saturday, November 1, 2008

Punta del Este, Uruguay

I'm still a couple of days behind in the blogging. On Thursday, I took a 2 hour bus ride to Punta del Este to have lunch, walk around, and see what the fuss is about this resort town. Although the trip is "direct" it still dropped people off in the middle of nowhere and made a stop in a small town outside of Punta del Este. I assumed it was the bus terminal for Punta del Este so I got off (no announcement and almost everyone got off). Ha! Was I wrong! Luckily the next bus arrived in about 10 minutes and took me to where I wanted to go.

Right outside of the bus terminal is quite an unusual landmark. As you can see below. It's right in front of the beach. I think the fingers up close kind of looks like Stonehenge!
















I admit, Punta del Este is a great little beach town on a pennisula on the Atlantic Ocean. The "fingers" side of the water is rather windy (it is spring and about 65 degrees outside). I got my feet wet and found the water quite cold. The surfers were out and they were all wearing full wet suits.














On the other side of the penninsula the water is much calmer. And the yacht club is at the tip of the penninsula.














In all, I spent about 3 hours in Punta del Este. I would definitely go back if I were in the area in the summer.

I got back to Montevideo in time to depart on the 7:30 pm ferry back to Buenos Aires. It's a 3 hour trip and I was able to say adios to Uruguay and my last sunset over the Rio Plata.

3 comments:

Admin said...

Just dropping by. Nice photos. What country is that?

Eu Ginn
Malaysia

Anonymous said...

Pretty pictures!

Unknown said...

Nice... Sounds like a plesant live side trip!...

Cool pics...